HOW TO PREPARE POUNDED COCOYAM
Pounded cocoyam is one of the many foods known as fufu in Nigeria. The pounded cocoyam is not popular as other fufus because of its texture after preparation. It has a sticky texture. But some older people prefer it. But the people who prepare it join it with yam or Akpu.
The cocoyam is rich in carbohydrate. When properly prepared, it goes smoothly with any soup such as ọgbọnọ soup, Oha soup, Egusi soup, Okra soup, and onugbu soup etc.
You can buy cocoyam from any food stuff shops and any market in Nigeria.
In this tutorial, I will be taking you through how to prepare the pounded cocoyam with yam. In this case, the quantity of the yam is usually smaller than that of the cocoyam.
STEPS INVOLVED IN PREPARING POUNDED COCOYAM
• Put some water in a pot. Set the pot on the fire.
• Peel the cocoyam(s) and yam(s)
• Cut the cocoyam into smaller pieces and as well the yam. Some cocoyam that are not to big are left without being cut.
• Wash the pieces of cocoyam and the yams put in the pot. The cocoyams should be put under the yam because the cocoyam takes a longer time to get done than the yam. But when it is put under, they get done relatively same time.
• Allow it to cook. It will take about 10 – 15 minutes for it to cook depending on the intensity of the fire.
• Remember to be checking it in intervals using a clean knife or a pointed clean iron. Pierce the cocoyam and yam pieces with the knife or pointed iron to check if they are already soft.
• When done, use a perforated spoon or knife or pointed iron to get the cocoyams into the mortar first.
• Pound the cocoyams until it soften enough before you then add the yam.
• Pound until it becomes very soft and smooth.
Now you have your pounded cocoyam ready for consumption.
Dish into plates or into a storage dish (flask). One important thing you should know is that the pounded cocoyam spoils quickly. It doesn’t last long after its preparation unlike the Akpu. So, make sure you finish it as quickly as possible whenever you prepare it.
Note: Make sure you wash all the kitchen utensils used for the cooking.
If you found this article interesting and helpful, go ahead and use share buttons below and share to your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
And if you have any questions or contribution, use the Comment below to post your comment.
EGBUM DANIEL CHUKWUBUIKEM