STEPS INVOLVED IN PREPARING THE OHA SOUP WITH PALM FRUIT
Before you start, you need to get all the ingredients needed for the preparation of the Oha soup ready. To see the list of all the ingredients and how you can get them, click here.
Now, let’s get started-
• The first thing to do is to cook the palm fruit. But to save time, I will advice you cook the palm fruit and the cocoyam together. So, you have to peel off all the dry scales on the cocoyam before cooking them together.
Wait for about 10 – 15 minutes for the both to cook. Pierce the cocoyam to check if it is done. If it is done, then they are both ready because the cocoyam definitely get ready later than the palm fruit.
• Pour the palm fruit and the cocoyam into a sieve.
• Remove all the cocoyam. Cover the cocoyam to avoid getting cold.
• Turn the palm fruits into a mortar and start pounding gently. Avoid breaking the nuts.
• Put the pounded palm fruits into a sieve. Put the sieve into the pot you will be cooking the soup with.
Note: Make sure the handle of the sieve hang on the pot, thereby suspending the sieve in the pot.
• Start to add water in little, little quantity as you wash off the oil from the palm nuts. After washing off the oil thoroughly, remove the sieve from the pot.
• Set the pot on fire and start peeling the cocoyam.
• Pound the cocoyam into pulp. And add it to the pot.
• Wash the meats and/or fish and add to it.
• Cover the pot and let it cook for a while.
• As you wait, start pounding the crayfish, pepper, and the uziza seed.
• Add the pounded ingredients.
• Add cube and/or sachet seasonings. Cube, about 3, depending on the size of the soup. The sachet, one is enough.
• Add the Ogiri. About one or two wraps.
• Add salt to taste.
• Start peeling the Oha as the soup cooks for a while. Slice the Oha leaves and wash.
• Add the leaves to the soup.
• Allow it to cook for a while. Taste it. If the salt is not enough, you add a little more. If the taste is nice, you bring it down.
You have succeeded in preparing an Oha soup.
Note: Make sure you wash all the kitchen utensils used for the cooking.
If you found this article interesting and helpful, go ahead and use share buttons below and share to your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
And if you have any questions or contribution, use the Comment below to post your comment.
EGBUM DANIEL CHUKWUBUIKEM